Like most sports, horse riding requires a very specific wardrobe. And no, it’s not all about fashion (although we love that, too!), but also safety and functionality. Since there are some inherent risks to horseback riding, it’s important to maximize your wardrobe to stay safe, comfortable, and secure while riding.
An excellent horse riding jacket is a must-have for anyone. Whether you’re new to the sport or have ride competitively, you’ll need a good horse riding jacket in your wardrobe. Here’s what to look out for and some of the best horse riding jackets currently on the market.
Qualities of Great Horse Riding Jackets
There are so many options on the market today. So, finding the right horse riding jacket is a personal choice—some will work for you while others won’t.
That said, there are some general things to look out for when choosing your horse riding jacket. Important qualities to consider include:
- Comfort. Can you easily move in the jacket, or is it too tight and restrictive?
- Durability. You’ll want something that lasts for a while and isn’t prone to rips and tears.
- Weather proofing. Unless you’re a fair-weather rider only, you’ll want something that can stand up to cooler temperatures or rain.
- Style. We can’t leave this off the list! Style might be more important to some people than others—we’ll leave that for you to decide.
- Price. Riding jackets range significantly in their price, so consider what your budget is and choose something that provides the right value for your needs.
Top 10 Horse Riding Jackets
1. Toggi Outdoor Shelter Women’s Waterproof Coat
Description: This jacket has a waterproof rating of 10,000/10,000 but is still light and breathable for the summertime. The inner drawcord allows you to adjust and shape the coat to a sleek and stylish silhouette.
Sizes: UK 8-20
2. Le Mieux Team Softshell Jacket
Description: This jacket is affordable for most budgets and is a versatile option. It is wind and water resistant with a fleece lining—light enough to layer under another coat for cold weather but warm enough for an outer layer in mild temperatures.
Sizes: UK 8-16.
3. Dublin Ellen Puffer Jacket
Description: Add this lightweight puffer as a staple to your wardrobe. The down centre keeps you warm while the knit sleeves and side allow you to move with ease.
4. Anky Ladies Technical Jacket
Description: This is a great all-around riding jacked. It has many practical features like a chin protector, wind catcher, and detachable hood. It has waterproof, breathable fabric that is good for any weather conditions.
5. Hazel Women’s Long Raincoat with Slits
Description: Riding in the rain is not fun if you don’t have the right riding jacket! This long raincoat will keep you nice and dry the whole time. It has slits along the side to make it easier to cover the saddle and adjustable cuffs to ensure the right fit.
Sizes: UK 8-20
6. Oline Ladies’ Softshell Jacket
Description: This softshell riding jacket has comfortable 4-way stretch which allows you to move with easy. It is also wind and water repellent, making it excellent for most weather conditions.
Sizes: UK 6-20
7. Hooded Windbreaker Hannah
Description: If you need a great riding jacket for windy conditions, this one is for you! It’s lined with fleece to keep you warm and has long side zippers to make it easy to take on and off.
8. Performance Functional Hooded Jacket Jacy
Description: This is a functional riding jacket with an elegant look. It’s waterproof, windproof, and breathable—and warm! But it’s also very attractive with its long length and detachable fur hood liner.
Sizes: UK 8-16
9. Holland Cooper Coach Jacket—Ink Navy Stripe
Description: With a slim fit and bold stripe design, this is a very eye-catching riding jacket. It’s soft jersey and perforated quilting make it very comfortable and breathable, perfect for transitional weather.
Description: The Equicoat is designed for riding in cold and wet conditions. It has an oversized design for you to easily fit it over other layers. It also has ¾ length zip sides and internal leg straps to help you ride with the ultimate comfort!
Each of the riding jackets on this list differ in style, features, and price. Choose the best riding jacket for you—one that is comfortable and practical, but makes you also feel good and ride good while wearing it.
And if you want to learn more about the Equicoat and whether it’s the right riding jacket for you, feel free to contact us at any time!